On Sat, Feb 21, 2009 at 09:50:35AM -0500, Ed wrote:

> Does this mean that the tool is entered into the tool table or is it
> just to make it easy to zero each tool as it is mounted? Automatic
> updates to the tool table would be very nice. Ed.

It actually writes the tool table for you.  Here's a procedure you
might use:

Load new tool with TnM6, place above a workpiece or fixture with an
established Z height of zero (or any other known height, but zero
for this example)

Raise tool slowly until a .5 dowel pin just rolls under it (I use
the jog wheel)

In Touch Off, select "T" (tool table), enter 0.5

The tool table will be rewritten with the correct Z length to make the
DRO show Z 0.5.  A new G43 command will be issued so the DRO shows the
new tool length in effect.  The DRO will now show Z 0.5.

For my lathe I use the spinde nose as Z reference.  I roll a dowel pin
between the tool and nose.  To set X, I roll the pin between the tool
and a 1" reference bar in a collet, or take a test cut and measure
with a 1" micrometer.  I find it much easier to tell AXIS "That should
be 0.6233 because that's what I just measured - set the tool table
accordingly" instead of trying to figure out what to subtract from
what to get the number I need for the tool table.

(Can you tell I think this feature is the best thing in 2.3?)