On Fri, 2009-03-20 at 23:42 -0500, Jon Elson wrote:
... snip
> have such a problem.  Kirk Wallace is also using a UPC board on a lathe,
> but I don't know if he is doing a lot of threading.  Maybe you should
> send me your threading program and I will try it here on the minimill.
> Is your machine natively defined in mm units or inch units?  It
> "shouldn't" make a difference, but I'm pulling at straws, here.
>
> Jon

Sorry Jon, I haven't done allot of threading. I have had no trouble,
other than early in the conversion, I had a spindle encoder noise
problem (solved with VFD filter) and finding the proper acceleration
tuning to deal with lead-in oscillations. I don't recall having a
runaway, other than when I had the buggy homing software version.

I wonder if there is a way to have the software predict what a
reasonable move would be and compare this with what the sensors
indicate. In other words, for a particular command, it might be
unreasonable to move above a certain rate and distance to complete the
block. Or, maybe it could be user assigned:

G?? (safe zone) X1 xxx Y1 xxx Z1 xxx X2 xxx Y2 xxx Z2 xxx J (any max.
distance from block start) xxx
G?? (safe zone end).
Kirk