Hi,

I have an EMC2 controlled CNC mill with stepper motors but I am not too
happy about the parallel port being used as stepper signal generator.
My current configuration is a standard one generated with the step
configuration wizard but I am guessing the PC uses quite some time to
calculate the appropriate timing signals for the stepper control.
The max. usable frequency reported by stepconf is 25 kHz (based on the
latency results) and the max.frequency used to control the stepper
drivers is 24.3 kHz.

A lot of my programs consist of 3D curves built up out of small lines
and even with a G64 P0.1 (or larger in mm) the system never reaches the
programed feed rate and the CPU load reaches of up to 95%.
Reading about the possibilities of the 5i20 card from Mesa I got
wondering if this could solve part of this problem - I already tried a
faster PC but that does not help as much as I thought.

Is it possible to use the 5i20 as stepper controller (using hostmot2)
with EMC2 and am I correct in thinking that this relieves the PC of
calculating all the timing signals for the stepper signals?
Even if it just solves half of my problems; using the 5i20 removes the
dependency on parport hardware which I need to install to do the extra
I/O that I need.

Are there any 5i20 / stepper motor users out there? and are there any
sample HAL configurations to use as a start?
I googled around a bit but did not find what I was looking for.

Regards,

    Rob