Rob Jansen wrote:
> Is it possible to use the 5i20 as stepper controller (using hostmot2)
> with EMC2 and am I correct in thinking that this relieves the PC of
> calculating all the timing signals for the stepper signals?

Yes, and yes.

> Are there any 5i20 / stepper motor users out there? and are there any
> sample HAL configurations to use as a start?
> I googled around a bit but did not find what I was looking for.

Matt Shaver is using a 5i20 with hostmot2 to achieve 200 KHz step rates.

I dont have his config files, but look at the hm2-stepper/5i20 sample
config, present in the 2.3 betas or online here:

<http://cvs.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/emc2/configs/hm2-stepper/?only_with_tag=v2_3_branch>

Now, all that said, here's a caveat.  While the hardware and configs
above will completely remove the need for the computer to calculate and
send out step signals, that *may* not be enough to get rid of the 95%
system load and slower-than-desired motions.  The final performance of
your machine will depend on many factors, and I suggest you do a system
analysis before spending your money.

What fraction of your 95% CPU load is spent in step generation?  I'm
guessing not much.

What is the maximum step rate accepted by your stepper amplifiers?

What is the maximum acceleration and velocity capabilities of your motors?

--
Sebastian Kuzminsky