has it yet been determined that the cd is in fact working and bootable?
I've seen people download the iso with winrar or a similar compression
program installed, see the icon and open and extract the files to a folder,
then burn the dir to a cd.  autorun works, but no bootability.

another issue that i have personally encountered with attempting to boot
from a cd is an older drive being (excessively) slow to read, whether its
from dirty lense or a fading laser diode, whatever... and timing out before
reading the boot info.  since the computer has an 8.4 gig hard drive, I
would guess it's got some age to it.

I dont know if I missed it or if it hasnt been said, but how was the
previous ubuntu installed?  what's different from this time?

hope this might help
Jim