Ian W. Wright wrote:
> Jim,
>
> As you have probably worked out by now, your problems stem
> from the fact that DBan erases everything on the hard drive
> including the partition tables which are the index to the
> 'filing cabinet'. Your easiest way to get going again would
> be to start by creating a new primary partition of any
> flavour so that the computer will actually see the hard

computers DO NOT SEE drives because of the partition. BIOS code knows
nothing about the partitions when it makes PC send low level commands to
hard drive: reset, read disk configuration (heads, cyl, sec/track),
seek, read raw sectors, transfer that data to memory, etc.

> drive - at the moment its skulking in a dark corner of the
> office and the computer can't even see it.
>   These web pages will give you the necessary tools - I
> would suggest trying Ranish for a start - that will let you
> make a linux-style partition from the outset (ext2).  Here
> is a link to the page where you can download the files for a
> floppy disk - http://tinyurl.com/5zne7 - Don't forget to
> first format the floppy disk with the 'bootable' option
> selected!

With all respect, messing with floppies or whatever partition utilities
is a distraction complicating the situation. There is no magic. If you
bootup from CD or USB memory then practically any Linux distribution
will provide the utilities to manage partitioning and install the OS but
only if that drive was detected during PC self test by BIOS scan.

PC is going to bootup from CD regardless of what's on the hard drive so
all that playing with partitions won't make a difference if drive is not
recognized.

> This page gives more options and instructions -
> http://tinyurl.com/c9ad3n and, failing that, the utility on
> this page will let you make a DOS (FAT32) partition on the
> drive.
>
> Once you have a partition and can boot from the CD, the
> Ubuntu Live CD will sort out everything else.
>
> Good luck,
> Ian
> ______________________
> Ian W. Wright
> Sheffield  UK

Again, DOS partition or any partition for that matter has nothing to do
with his problem. I have never had a problem where Linux installation
utilities failed to install on new hard drive which had no partitions on
it at all. That includes drives in SCSI RAID configuration which wipe
out that after config changes. Incorrect BIOS setup, jumpers and cable
did make a difference.

For any PC to work you need good hardware with proper jumpers on HDD
set, properly inserted cables, proper BIOS configuration. So far we only
speculated on what the problem is but we still don't know what kind of
motherboard, hard drive, and BIOS are in place. Older BIOS would require
special setup for newer high capacity hard drives and would only be able
to recognize lower capacity than real.

--
Rafael