John,

You should not be able to do much if you have not successfully negotiated a
Hello. Only help and quit should work. Do the following after establishing
the connection:

Hello EMC client 1.0

EMC is the connection password, the remainder is basically a hook for the
future to facilitate communicating with different protocol versions. For
'client', I typically pass the network name of the computer trying to
connect.

Once connected it is convenient to enter these commands:

set echo off   <turns off echoing of each command>
set verbose on <gives improved error messages when typing in commands
manually>

set enable EMCTOO

This allows you to issue set commands affecting EMC. The system will only
allow one session to be enabled at a time.

>From there you should be able to do the remaining commands.

Read the documentation in the wiki covers most of this and also defines the
command line parameters which do things such as allowing you to set the
passwords, the socket number, number of simultaneous sessions, etc.

Regards,
Eric

Ok, some progress has been made.  I can now connect to emcrsh via a telnet
session.  Help and Get both work

Hello results in a HELLO NAK

Get <any command> results an appropriate response.

Set <any command> results in SET NAK

Enable does not seem to work

Shutdown results in SHUTDOWN NAK

I am most likely doing something wrong here but I cannot figure out what.

Your help and patience is appreciated.