On Wed, 2009-05-13 at 18:17 +0200, Peter blodow wrote:
> Hello Kirk,
> I wonder how much fuss you guys are making about gear cutting.
... snip
> I managed to buy module 0.5 to 2 sets of 8 cutters each, in beautiful
> wooden boxes, almost unused, from a machine factory which had to move
> out of the town, for 50 Euros. Just keep looking! Large factories
> don't use this method of gear making because it takes longer than
> hobbing. Take to the guys at their coffee break. Look into ebay, not
> only in ebay.com for the US, but for instance at ebay.de or ebay.at.
> Don't be afraid of eastern European dealers, they need to make money
> just as we all and are as honest as we all are. :-)) There seems to be
> a lot of material the communist era has left which is now being
> socialized by private hands.
>
> Best regards
> Peter Blodow
>
> PS: Don't get me wrong: I studied physics and have been working in a
> research company for 34 years, so I know when to use complicated
> theory, but from my own private work I know when not...

Thanks for the eBay hints. I wonder if eBay will some day have the clout
to create a universal world-wide shipping system, no goofy tariffs,
customs and other social swarf?

So far, the gear cutters I have found have been expensive and limited.
Using a rack cutter is one option, but then you need to know the ins and
outs of the gear profiles to make the setup, and would require a rotary
axis, which I am only lusting over at this point. I plan on making a few
gears of very different forms each year, so investing in expensive and
limited tooling, doesn't seem to make sense. A new rack cutter from
MSCDirect cost about the same as a pair of gears from Mcmaster, if they
happen to have the size I need.

For the particular gear set I need now, I can make them from sheet
material and they can be fairly large, so I can use a small end mill to
cut the gear, but again this requires me to know the details of the gear
tooth form.

Finally, I enjoy learning about gear details, playing with math, plus
some of what I have learned will be handy in other areas.

If I had my production hat on, I would certainly be taking a different
approach.
--
Kirk Wallace
http://www.wallacecompany.com/E45/index.html