On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 6:13 AM, Kirk Wallace
<kwall...@wallacecompany.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-05-12 at 22:03 -0500, Stuart Stevenson wrote:
>> Kirk,
>>    I have software (FAPT) that will generate the tooth profile using
>> the information out of the machinery's handbook charts. I would be
>> happy to input the data and send you the profile in G-code.
>> Stuart
>
> Thank you Stuart. I am able to generate the tooth profiles, or rather
> points on the profile with QCAD by drawing the rack and doing the
> involute copy/move. This gives me an idea of what's going on. As I learn
> more, I am able to simplify the process. I have a particular 4:1 gear
> set I need for my turret encoder on the Shizuoka, which I have enough
> profile points on. I'll connect the dots with lines, then use dxf2gcode
> to get the .ngc file.

see the g code I posted (in [Emc-users] [OT] Fun with Math thread) for
4 axis all it needs is a fly cutter ground to your rack form (near
enough does not have to be uber accurate) and it will generate the
form. Run it cutting air to get a feel for what it does. I wrote it
for use on a vertical so the sideways movement is on Z
It calculates the Z from the circumference of the PCD which is the
rolling circle of the gear.
Currently the depth of cut is hand set but should be calculated
Addendum+Dedendum then PCD could be calculated from either Module or
DP.
Start point is turn blank to OD mount touch off to OD .
Number of passes per slot was an arbitary number increase for a better curve.
The 20 degree was also an arbitary number it should be calculated to
make sure the complete curve is generated ie at the first pass it
should just be cutting air.

The code was thrown together Monday night in about an hour after
watching this thread and the other.
It wont take too much to add the few missing starting points and later
to amend to 5 axis and helical involute generation (I know this as its
hacked from code I use already for form tool gear milling)

Dave Caroline (archivist)