On Fri, 4 Sep 2009, Youda He wrote:

> Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2009 11:42:21 -0700
> From: Youda He <yo...@geometrysystems.com>
> To: "Enhanced Machine Controller (EMC)" <emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
> Subject: Re: [Emc-users] What hardware should buy to start
>
> Thanks, do we need to consider what CPU performance level is needed, P4,
> Core2, GHz? memory size?
>
> -- Youda

Probably 1 GHz or greater, 256M or more of RAM. If you are using software step
generation, for example with a parallel port driving the step motors, the main
issue will not be the processor speed, but be the latency of the PC. This may
require some fussing about with video cards, disabling SMI, or choosing a
different motherboard. The wiki lists some known good motherboards:

http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/emcinfo.pl?Latency-Test

Peter Wallace