On Friday 04 September 2009, Youda He wrote:
>Thanks, it seems most computer works, especially the Intel Atom worked
> well. Do we have drawings to connect parallel port to step driver?  We
> have some Allegro chip that takes pulse, direction and will do the rest of
> driving.

That is available as a ready made unit, 3 or 4 channels(motors) wide, from
xylotex, google for it.

I have both a 3 axis and a 4, and within its limits (2.5 amps/motor) and 30
volts max for the psu, it works quite well.  It will need active cooling, so
I made a box a few inches longer than the board, and the same square as a
common psu fan, one in each end of the box, one blowing in and of course the
other end is sucking the warm air out.  That also works well.

>-- Youda
>
>On Fri, Sep 4, 2009 at 12:21 PM, Peter C. Wallace <p...@mesanet.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, 4 Sep 2009, Youda He wrote:
>> > Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2009 11:42:21 -0700
>> > From: Youda He <yo...@geometrysystems.com>
>> > To: "Enhanced Machine Controller (EMC)"
>> > <emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net
>> >
>> > Subject: Re: [Emc-users] What hardware should buy to start
>> >
>> > Thanks, do we need to consider what CPU performance level is needed,
>> > P4, Core2, GHz? memory size?
>> >
>> > -- Youda
>>
>> Probably 1 GHz or greater, 256M or more of RAM. If you are using software
>> step
>> generation, for example with a parallel port driving the step motors, the
>> main
>> issue will not be the processor speed, but be the latency of the PC. This
>> may
>> require some fussing about with video cards, disabling SMI, or choosing a
>> different motherboard. The wiki lists some known good motherboards:
>>
>> http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/emcinfo.pl?Latency-Test
>>
>> Peter Wallace

Cheers, Gene

Justice, n.: