Gentlemen,
  I can think of one scenario that the rotary (0-359.999) configuration will
handle "better" than the linear (0 thru unlimited) configuration.

On  a 180 degree move you would give a command of B180 or B-180 (the same
position). If the sign does not tell the machine which way to turn then how
does the machine know which way to move the axis? Just as important, how
does the operator know which way the machine is going to move? Also, how
does the post handle the move? You would need an intermediate move to allow
the machine and operator to determine the direction of motion. The post can
be instructed by another commanded position or a direction vector for the
tool motion.

  There are trade offs in all configurations. In my world, small it may be,
the rotary configuration is clearer and more intuitive for the post, the
operator and the machine.

  I am glad Henry Ford does not run the industry now. You could have any
color Model T you wanted along is it was black. :)

--
you can lead a person to knowledge
but you cannot make him think