A twisted pair, or any long piece of wire coming out of the back of a PC, is
first and foremost, a transmission line, and needs to be terminated
properly. This has nothing to do with the DC bias. The impedance of such a
line is generally 50R to 75R.

In the case of a printer port line, which is unbalanced, the line might have
a 1k pullup, to satisfy DC conditions, but also needs a signal(AC)
termination, usually a RC combination, and is often of low value, maybe a
100R and small capacitor.

In the case of a proper balanced line, there is usually a single low value
resistor (50R) across the line as it enters the differntial input of the
amplifier, but thats not the case here.

Trying to satisfy both AC and DC requirements with a single resistor, may
either overload the port line if it is too low, or allow signal reflections
if it too high.

The line should be terminated with a pull-up according to the power output
of the driver chip, then a scope used to select the correct RC combination.
The RC connects the line to ground. Use a 100R resistor, and start with cap
order of 50pF and increase it until you see a nice square wave.

Roland