Andy Pugh wrote:
> (Sorry to start yet another thread on much the same subject, but this
> is a bit broader-ranging)
>
> It seems that spindle-synchronised motion is very sensitive to encoder
> regularity.
>
> Using the p-port to read the encoder position means that as the
> encoder linecount goes up, quantisation error in the measured
> positions also goes up, and so the inter-line period noise increases.
> Does this mean then, that very low linecounts will give less dither,
> and better results?

Apparently not.  I am using an encoder with 1728 cycles/rev, or 6912
quadrature
counts/rev.  It works fine, although some improvements in EMC2 that were
made
last year were quite helpful.  Also, it is quite important that the
trajectory planner
be running at the servo update rate, and not the typical 5X slower rate
that was used
in earlier versions of EMC2.
> http://www.pastebin.ca/1583502
> Is the raw halscope data from my machine. If you plot the encoder
> position it looks dead straight, but the raw data shows that the
> difference between successive samples is quite variable.

The last column seems to show wide variations, indicating maybe the
sampling is missing
complete revolutions.  Lines 7 and 19 show such a large variation, for
instance.
This may be due to noise in the signal, too.  This is the reason I
strongly advise people,
OVER and OVER, to not try to use software sampling of such signals.

> Is this possibly the reason that my attempts at threading are so hopeless?
>
> I would be the first to admit that my encoder is rubbish, it is a bit
> of computer-printed paper wrapped round the lathe spindle, but even if
> I was to get a high-accuracy encoder disc I feel I would still be at
> the mercy of sample quantisation errors
> Any opinions on the best way forwards?
I really don't think it is the encoder, but can't be sure.  If the
sensor sees a lot of
light near the decision threshold, it may be flickering on and off
instead of solidly sending
ON, then OFF, then back to ON at the right times.  If it is flickering
during periods when
it should be sensing a solid on or off, the software will sample the
wrong thing.  You really
need an oscilloscope, but you might be able to see enough in HalScope to
determine what
it is doing.

Jon