On Sat, Nov 07, 2009 at 12:47:44PM +0000, Leslie Newell wrote:
> You don't need two cheeks on both pulleys. It is quite common to have two
> cheeks on the smaller pulley and none on the larger one. Another common
> setup is one cheek on each pulley, on opposite sides. As long as the shafts
> are reasonably well aligned both arrangements work very well.

The latter is _most_ interesting, because the gullets can then freely be
plunged with a slot drill from the side, and the tooth tips could be
chamfered quickly with a larger diameter cutter. (Assuming that a
chamfer is an adequate approximation of rounded corners.)

> I have uploaded a 2D dxf of a 48T HTD pulley to filebin
> <http://filebin.ca/vucjb/48THTDpulley.DXF>. This was extracted from a
> 3D model from the SDP/SI website <http://www.sdp-si.com/>

Asking wikipedia about "dxf file", I've found a long list of
applications which can display that stuff. I'll see if I can find one of
them on linux. (I see that it's a text file, but looking at that only
tells me that there are lots of arcs in the pulley. :-)

Erik

--
Brahma said: Well, after hearing ten thousand explanations, a fool is no
wiser.  But an intelligent man needs only two thousand five hundred.