2009/11/7 Roland Jollivet <roland.jolli...@gmail.com>:

> I watched milling of aluminium toothed pulleys at a company once. They had
> put a whole lot of 2" discs on a shaft, maybe 10" long, tightened up, and
> had the whole thing in a dividing head, then just milling grooves with an
> end mill.

The pulleys I am currently using look to have been cut with a profiled
milling cutter on a horizontal mill or possibly hobbed. That surprised
me as I would have expected them to be broached in a pot-broach.

Most of the profiles don't look to lend themselves to DIY milling.

> Notice the flanges are on alternate sides.

Cunning, though I have seen at least two designs of flangeless belts.

http://www.goodyearep.com/productsdetail.aspx?id=3400 and another with
staggered teeth but no helix

--
atp