Hi Kirk,

You must be very lucky. I have a whole stack of dead drives. When a hard
drive fails it is very often catastrophic failure and you lose
everything. One day it's working fine, the next day it won't boot.

With Flash if you do get a failure it is likely to only be a few bits
which can be detected and often recovered with parity and error
checking. The quoted number of write cycles is the guaranteed minimum
and most sectors will handle far more. I use a flash microcontroller
that has a rated life of 100 write cycles. Some of my development boards
have probably had ten times that or more and I have never had a
programming failure.

With the setup I use on my lathe for example you don't notice any
difference in usability. You can load and save files exactly as you
would with a hard drive. The only noticeable difference is that you lose
the log files if you reboot.

Les