On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 08:06:18 +0000, you wrote:

>You must be very lucky. I have a whole stack of dead drives. When a hard
>drive fails it is very often catastrophic failure and you lose
>everything. One day it's working fine, the next day it won't boot.

You must have had the same batch of Craptor IDE drives (Maxtor's) I had.
All failed at 3 years plus a month or two (70 odd in total) a year
since.

Another thirty PC's fitted with Seagate drives and installed at the same
time are still going strong, as are a handful with Western Digital
Drives.

I've got a couple of servers with Seagate Ultra SCSI's in that are now 8
years old and are still working fine. They've been relegated to non
critical tasks and they will get trashed when they eventually fail.

Steve Blackmore