> A laser interferometer is on my todo list. I've acquired all of the
> optics on ebay for a total of a few hundred dollars. I've built a power
> supply. The major part I'm missing is the counting and interpolating
> electronics with a computer interface.

Hi Ken,

the heterodyne interferometers I have found described mostly use a
two-frequency laser which emits two orthogonal polarizations with
slightly (500kHz? or in your case 4 MHz) different frequency. Did you
find a Zeeman-stabilized two-frequency laser on ebay? Or are you
planning to DIY and put magnets around a normal HeNe tube? Sams Laser
FAQ has a description:
http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/laserchn.htm#chndzees

The other method is to use an acousto-optic modulator to shift the
frequency of the light. But the papers I've found use two modulators,
and I only have one to spare right now...

If I can either find a two-frequency HeNe or DIY with magnets then I'd
be interested in testing this, possibly with the m5i20 (already has
fpga code for fast encoder counters) for data acquisition.

Anders