Flying Electron wrote:
> I'm getting ready to upgrade my machine from steppers to servos, but am
> a little unsure on what would be needed.
>
> I know I need servos.  The only low cost servos I have found so far are
> from keling.  I'm probably going to go with the KL23-130-60 NEMA 23
> sized servos.
They also have a size 23 brushless servo motor that works quite well,
and I have drivers
for these.
> The next part is where I am confused.  I was looking at the Gecko Drive
> G320X.  Is it correct in thinking this would be used just like a stepper
> driver with the step, dir inputs and emc would know nothing about the
> encoder positions on the servos?

Yes, that is exactly how the G320 works.

I make a set of boards that handles this, either with brush or brushless
servo motors.
I have a controller (the Pico Systems Universal PWM Controller) that
sends digital
commands to the servo amps.  With this system, you can hit E-stop and
move the machine
manually without loss of position alignment. You can see these products at
http://pico-systems.com/oscrc4/catalog/index.php?cPath=3

Jon