On Sat, 2010-02-27 at 22:21 -0500, BRIAN GLACKIN wrote:
> I may pick up a set of linear scales which were part of a DRO for a milling
> machine.
>
> The DRO box was fried but the scales are reportedly still working.  If I get
> these scales, will I be able to hook them up using one of the available
> boards (mesa or pico)?  I have a 13.5X40 lathe I am considering using these
> for.
>
> Any suggestions including what to look for with used scales are appreciated.
>
> Brian

If the scales have quadrature output, then you should be able use a
parallel port, Mesa or Pico.
http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/4763
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotary_encoder

Some scales don't use quadrature, so at best, you would need a
converter.

Using a linear scale for the primary encoder is not recommended. Usually
there is a lot of feedback latency between the axis motor and the
encoder, which causes feedback loop instability. Some here have used
linear scales in combination with motor shaft encoders, but this is not
for novice integrators.

Compared to a proper motor or ball screw rotary encoder, the most common
linear scales don't have very high resolution and rotary encoders can be
cheaper. Although this comment may be out of date, because a lot of the
newer scales have had pretty high resolutions, but still not like a
rotary.

You may want to consider fixing the DRO display or selling the scales
separately and use the money to get rotary encoders (,or beer).
--
Kirk Wallace
http://www.wallacecompany.com/E45/index.html