BRIAN GLACKIN wrote:
> I may pick up a set of linear scales which were part of a DRO for a milling
> machine.
>
> The DRO box was fried but the scales are reportedly still working.  If I get
> these scales, will I be able to hook them up using one of the available
> boards (mesa or pico)?  I have a 13.5X40 lathe I am considering using these
> for.

Make sure the scales are digital output, not analog.  Make sure their
basic resolution is acceptable to you.  There are some scales that used
interpolation to increase the resolution, but those will be
analog-output, of course.

A .0005" scale may not perform well in a servo application, you probably
want a higher resolution one.
Also, you can't use linear encoders in a servo positioning system where
there is much backlash.  .001"
might be tolerable, much more than that makes for horrible vibration and
servo hunting.

Jon