On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 12:16:50AM +0000, Andy Pugh wrote:
> On 15 March 2010 22:54, Slavko Kocjancic <esla...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I just don't understand why is that hard to implement jog when paused or
> > tool change.
>
> It's a mystery to me too.
>
> However, it should be easy to add a probe line after a toolchange, and
> with a touch-off plate mounted on the bed that would also be a labour
> saver too.

That was approximately my recurrent thought as I followed this thread.

To provide more room for a manual tool change, why not program a
retraction and move to above the touch-off plate? On completion of the
tool change, we probe for length of the (collet-held) tool, then resume
with the resultant one-time tool offset.

There is then no need for any jogs, there's elbow room for the tool change,
and the tool is measured to boot. (I'm rather hoping emc2 can do the probing
automatically. I haven't got that far yet.)

> (I think there are issues with finding a safe path back to the
> original position with jog-while-paused, but there are so many other
> ways to crash the tool that I can't see one more way being that much
> of an issue)

Using programmed moves to and from the manual "tool-change station"
seems to be quicker, as well as avoiding loss of position information.

Now, what am I missing? ;-)

Erik

--
"There is nothing new under the sun, but there are lots of old things
 we don't know yet."                                  -Ambrose Bierce