On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 4:45 PM, Steve Blackmore <st...@pilotltd.net> wrote:

> Not quite - press Feed hold, stop spindle then jog -X to clear tool,
> then +Z to get out of bore, replace tip. Start spindle, press cycle
> start. Tool did a combined XZ move at current feed rate to where it
> stopped then continued from there.

That's a great example how it might be tricky in general. In your case,
a simultaneous XZ move was appropriate, as would be Z followed by X,
but not X followed by Z. In another configuration (e.g. facing) the opposite
would have been true, and I can imagine cases where neither would work
(e.g. a center stub in an undercut bore hole, requiring a Z->X->Z->X move).

This doesn't mean that it isn't a desirable feature that should be implemented,
just that it isn't as simple as you portray it to be. Since a full
interference detection
doesn't seem sensible, it'd have to be some big fat warning window
that it's your
responsibility to clear the tool path.