Paul Keeton wrote:
>> If there's a tach on the motor, then you should be able to route that
>> directly to the drive.  My understanding is that some controls would
>> synthesize the tach feedback from encoder feedback.  If you have one of
>> those, then it gets more complex (and I don't know the answer)
>>
> I would think that the simplest solution would be to change the motors to
> tach feedback and then install either linear scales on the iron or install
> encoders on the ballscrews. I would think this would be the simplest way to
> handle it?

It may be, it may not be.

If there are already encoders on the motors, you should keep those
installed if at all possible.  PID only works well when the feedback
device is rigidly coupled to the actuator - ie, when the encoder is
mounted on the motor.  If you use only a linear scale for feedback, and
there is any backlash, then it will be difficult or impossible to tune
the PID.  You can use a scale in addition to an encoder, as was done on
the G&L at MPM (I think there's a case study on the linuxcnc.org
website, but I'm not sure where).

Encoders on the screws should be OK if there's no backlash between the
motor and the screw.  It's a good rule of thumb to consider that every
step the encoder is moved away from the motor makes PID tuning harder.

- Steve