On Mon, 29 Mar 2010, Rudy du Preez wrote:

> Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 09:22:41 +0200
> From: Rudy du Preez <r...@asmsa.co.za>
> To: emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net
> Subject: Re: [Emc-users] Analogue servo driving with Mesa 7i33
>
> I have managed pretty well converting 3 machines to EMC2 - two using the
> parallel port and one using Mesa 5i20 and 7i29 cards. However, now I am
> looking at using a 5i20+7i33 setup to drive analogue servo drivers that need
> two inputs, AN+ and AN- 10V (and GND?). It is not clear to me how this is to
> be done.
>
> The 7i33 card has one AOUTn pin for each of 4 channels (called AOUT0 to
> AOUT4), and a lot of GND pins. How do I connect my servo driver to these
> pins?. Should the voltage on the AOUTn pin swing from -10V to +10V?

Normally you would connect the AOUTn pin to your drives AN+ and the adjacent
ground to your drives AN-. Drives are wired this way (the drives have a
differential input) so that common mode noise is rejected.

The voltage on the AOUTn pins swings from -10V to +10V

> The HAL configuration talks about PWM and PID, etc. With PWM you have PWM
> and DIR signals and with PID you have UP and DOWN. Which of these are to be
> used and what do they mean? I think PWM can be swung from -1 to +1 to create
>> From -10V to +10V - how does DIR fit in. What does UP and DOWN do? (UP 0 to
> 10V and down 0 to -10V?).

Yes, you can also use the scale parameter if you wish the command to have a
different range, for example if you set scale to 10, a PWMGEN command of -10
to +10 will generate a -10 to +10 voltage on the output.

DIR is handled automatically by the driver

For the 7I33 the optimum PWMGEN setting is PDM with 6 MHz rate (pwmgen
output-type = 3 and pdm_frequency = 6000000 )

Not sure what you mean with PID, PID has no UP/DOWN pins

HostMot2s PWMGEN has other output modes, for example the UP/DOWN mode. but the
7I33 hardware uses PWM/DIR or PDM/DIR modes only (output-mode 1 or 3)

> As you can see I am totally confused and need some expert advice. I think
> the difficulty is the two separated interfaces: from EMC2 to Mesa 5i20 and
> from Mesa 5i20 to 7i33. Hostmot2 deals with the first interface, the second
> interface is not clear. I have problems with both interfaces.
>
> Thanks for any advice.
> Rudy

> database 4980 (20100328) __________

> http://www.eset.com