> > From: Rudy du Preez <r...@asmsa.co.za>
> > To: emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net
> > Subject: Re: [Emc-users] Analogue servo driving with Mesa 7i33
> >
> > I have managed pretty well converting 3 machines to EMC2 - two using the
> > parallel port and one using Mesa 5i20 and 7i29 cards. However, now I am
> > looking at using a 5i20+7i33 setup to drive analogue servo drivers that
> need
> > two inputs, AN+ and AN- 10V (and GND?). It is not clear to me how this
> is to
> > be done.
> >
> > The 7i33 card has one AOUTn pin for each of 4 channels (called AOUT0 to
> > AOUT4), and a lot of GND pins. How do I connect my servo driver to these
> > pins?. Should the voltage on the AOUTn pin swing from -10V to +10V?
>

> Normally you would connect the AOUTn pin to your drives AN+ and the
> adjacent
> ground to your drives AN-. Drives are wired this way (the drives have a
> differential input) so that common mode noise is rejected.
>
> The voltage on the AOUTn pins swings from -10V to +10V
>

> > The HAL configuration talks about PWM and PID, etc. With PWM you have
> PWM
> > and DIR signals and with PID you have UP and DOWN. Which of these are to
> be
> > used and what do they mean? I think PWM can be swung from -1 to +1 to
> create
> >> From -10V to +10V - how does DIR fit in. What does UP and DOWN do? (UP
> > 10V and down 0 to -10V?).
>
> Yes, you can also use the scale parameter if you wish the command to have
> different range, for example if you set scale to 10, a PWMGEN command of -
> 10
> to +10 will generate a -10 to +10 voltage on the output.
>
> DIR is handled automatically by the driver
>
> For the 7I33 the optimum PWMGEN setting is PDM with 6 MHz rate (pwmgen
> output-type = 3 and pdm_frequency = 6000000 )
>
> Not sure what you mean with PID, PID has no UP/DOWN pins
>
> HostMot2s PWMGEN has other output modes, for example the UP/DOWN mode. but
> the
> 7I33 hardware uses PWM/DIR or PDM/DIR modes only (output-mode 1 or 3)
>
> Peter Wallace
> Mesa Electronics

Thanks Peter. I am sorry, I maint PMD, not PID in my statements above.

I tried to calibrate running HAL, but the analogue output is being clipped
at 1 V. There is probably a setting such as MAX_OUTPUT that I have not set
yet. The OUTPUT_SCALE and OUTPUT_OFFSET settings in the .ini file is also
probably not correct. I don't know yet how to set these in HAL (not running
EMC2). When starting up the motor is running slowly, so an offset seems
required.

The scaling and OFFSET as explained in the Integrator manual (p 35) is still
unclear to me. In one paragraph it speaks of voltages and in another of
mm/s. I will try to figure it out in the next few evenings. My impression is
that a 100% duty cycle for pwmgen should give 10V out from the 7i33, but
clipping is being done in EMC2 (in units I still have to find out), so the
input scaling has to be right

Rudy

database 4986 (20100330) __________

http://www.eset.com