Sven Wesley pravi:
> I have a strange behaviour on a machine. I have a breakout board (Rutex
> components), when the EMC2-computer starts the mill motor will start right
> away. When I start EMC2, it stops. The odd thing is, when I exit EMC2 the
> motor will stay off.
> I have tested both active high and low, could it be a "leaking" output pin?
> I guess it might be fixed with a grounded drop signal resistor. What do you
> think?
>
> Regards,
> Sven

That's pretty normal. (sadly). When you start computer the BIOS check
port and that's set's some random data at the port. The spindle cannot
be (safe) controled by lpt port. It's needs another layer of safety.

The easyest and safe is chargepump. So to run the spindle the PC must
output stream of pulses long enought to energyze relay. In hal is
chargepump component so it's easy to use it. The hardware to do that is
in most cases just two diodes and two capacitors added into circuit.

I use two of such relay's (with chargepump)

One is for turning on the driver power supply
Other is for turning on router.

The Estop switch (NC) is wired to power relays.

So to turn on the standar procedure is Relase Estop (before or later
turning on EMC computer / doesn matter)
Hit F2 to turnon chargepump for relay1 and realy turnon power for motors
relay 2 is under M3 M5 control.

so if computer hangup the power for spindle and motors are cutoff same
if the estop is pushed.

Don't use direct signal from port to turn on board/spindle.
Just imagine that you have manual toolchange and just changing tool and
there is power glitches just long enought to reset pc. (and turn on the
spindle with your hands on it.)
aniway the cnc controller should shut off in that condition but I didn't
see that in smal benchtop machines. Not good news for our fingers.

Slavko.