I went through this exercise not too long ago.

Short answer is that there is no way to do it in gcode that I could find.

However I did find some tricks to get around the problem, none of them
really satisfactory though.  This is to control an axis independently
without adding more computers.

The best solution I came up with that works for me, although fairly
complicated, is this:

Added a new non standard GCode G00.1 which acts like an instantaneous G00.
 My code for this hack is horrible since I just wanted it to work.

Add a multiplexer to the hal file so that normally stepgen.motor.pos-fb is
connected to the axis.motor-pos-fb, but when switched on by a digital output
from gcode, the axis.motor-pos-cmd is connected directly to the
axis.motor-pos-fb.  You need this so that following errors don't occur when
an instantaneous move occurs.

Add a comparator to the hal file so that when stepgen.motor-pos-fb is the
same as stepgen.motor-pos-cmd a digital input goes high.

So to do an independent move, first set the digital output which controls
the multiplexer to true, this short circuits the feedback for the axis so no
following errors will occur.  Then issue your G00.1 command, and the axis
will begin moving.  It will also finish the G00.1 immediately even though
the axis is still moving since the stepgen has it's motor-pos-cmd set and
will keep moving towards that goal.  You can now issue other GCode commands.
 When you want to return control of the axis back to coordinated motion,
wait until the digital input connected to the comparator goes high which
means the axis is back in position and set the digital output back so that
the stepgen-motor-pos-fb is connected properly back to the
axis-motor-pos-fb.

Lawrence