OK, I'm confused, but it works now.

I checked the file, and it was correct as you specifed.

After booting, but before running emc, lsmod indicated that parport_pc was
not loaded but parport was loaded, and that modules lp and ppdev depended on
it.

I checked, and the problem still happened. During and after runninf emc,
lsmod still showed the same modules: no parport_pc, but parport loaded, and
depended on by lp and ppdev.

I rebooted again (this is the third time since I did the upgrade to 2.4) and
checked lsmod. Still the same: no parport_pc, but parport is loaded with
dependencies lp and ppdev. I tried emc again, and now it works. While emc is
running, lsmod indicates the following:

n...@tardis:~$ lsmod | grep parport
parport                33224  3 hal_ppmc,ppdev,lp

When I quit emc, the hal_ppmc dependency goes away, but the others remain.
That's how it should be, right?

So I guess somehow you were barking up the right tree. Editing the modprobe
file must have fixed the problem, but it required an extra reboot for some
reason.

Neil