On Sun, 16 May 2010 10:17:46 -0500, you wrote:

>Gentlemen,
>  In 1980 I remember starting in the middle of a program on a Fanuc 5T and
>GE 1050 mill controls. It was the operators responsibility to get the
>machine in position and the control prepared to start.
>  On the these controls I could skip lines with a toggle switch or search
>button. The first thing to do was to position the machine so the start would
>be safe. I would then position the program (or tape) at the beginning of the
>program and skip to the beginning of the tool section where I wanted to
>start. In single block I would then skip lines I didn't want to run and run
>lines I wanted to run. I had to read the spindle speed, spindle start, any
>prep codes (G90, G91, etc) I needed to be in effect.
>  To me, this seemed very straight forward and easy. I seldom had a problem
>with it. The way EMC2 works now is a dream compared to the way I learned.
>  I can envision program situations where this may be complicated. Macros,
>do loops, etc. I don't program in that fashion just for that reason.

Hi Stuart - look at the wiki page, nobody is asking that it works during
macros, canned cycles, loops or any other excuse that can be made to not
implement it.

>  BUT!!!!!
>  EMC2 is open software. If you want a feature - have at it. You will find
>help beyond belief from the developers and others.

Define developers. A better name may be coordinators of third party
input. No new features get "developed" unless one of them wants it for
himself.

What are the aims of EMC? Does it have any aspirations to progress or
not?

From

http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/emcinfo.pl/emcinfo.pl?BoardOfDirectors

The board of directors will:

   1. develop an EMC mission statement

Has that been done? What is it?

   5.  maintain a prioritised list of features to be added

Where do these features come from, who is tasked to write them, how do
you get things added to this list?

>You will have to put in
>time and effort but then you will have what you want. The developers and
>others are not paid to do this. Their time is freely given out of their
>lives.

I can't give any programming skills but I have got 40 years practical
engineering experience, I can't write code, but I can freely advise how
things work in the real world.

I would expect those who volunteered to be "developers" to convert those
"features" to code??

>  You want something - GO FOR IT. You will find the people involved will go
>out of their way to assist you.

Not in my experience. The only option seems to be "write it yourself".

>They just won't do the whole project for
>you.

Discussing would be a start!

Steve Blackmore