On Sunday 30 May 2010, Andy Pugh wrote:
>On 30 May 2010 19:51, Gene Heskett <gene.hesk...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>Firstly, I fully understand why you would do it, I just find the
>contrast between the technologies fascinating.
>I built my CNC machine because I want to make a mechanical clock. It
>is much the same thing.
>After watching some Youtube videos to get a feel for what Mark was
>doing I was almost tempted to have a go at making a rod myself, they
>
>are lovely things but:
>> You I take it, Andy, have never used a bamboo fly rod, or maybe do not
>> even fish, which is even sadder.
>
>You are quite right that I don't fish. I see folk sat by rivers
>drowning worms and it baffles me. I can see slightly more attraction
>in fly-fishing as it is more skilled and active, and there is all the
>fly tying to obsess about, but I would hate to actually catch
>anything, I am a vegetarian :-)

That explains that then.

But you miss out on catching a little 10" wild brown trout out of the San
Juan River (yeah that's the one that Sports Afield has orgasms about
occasionally), on a barb-less hook about #14 size.  Its mid July, at least
114 degrees in the air, the water you are standing hip deep in might be 34
degrees, but your hand swears its 30 below while hanging onto that trout
long enough to tease your hook out without hurting him any more.  Its a
bottom discharge from Navajo Dam about 2.5 miles upstream, and the water is
pretty rowdy upstream as it roils about picking up enough oxygen to support
the fish.  From 600 feet deep in Navajo Lake, there isn't any oxygen, ever.
A legendary piece of water, and anyone who likes to fish and can afford the
trip should make it.  Standing there in hip waders, you just might look down
and see a 3 foot brownie bump you as he drifts by.  But if you get lucky, he
has to be released too, so someone else can tell the fishing story of their
life too.  About a 45 mile drive from Farmington, I didn't get there near
often enough.

--
Cheers, Gene
There is a time in the tides of men,