Silicone 'O' rings are stronger than ordinary black ones but, now I know
what the thing is to be used for, I think this is an ideal use for
'Polymorph' or 'Jett set' or one of the similarly named and identical
products. *http://tinyurl.com/3x9nylp .* Turn a groove around the centre
of the periphery, fill it with a long sausage of this stuff and screw it
together before it sets. ( you may heed to drill a couple of radial
holes in the bottom of the groove to stop the plastic rotating ).  It
should give you a good friction fit. If not, you can cut through the
polymorph, pop a little packing under it and reassemble - then it will
fit tight. Alternatively, if you cut the groove in the female threaded
portion, the natural shrinkage of the ploymorph will ensure that it is
tight. The stuff softens at a temperature you can mold it in your hands
and sets like nylon so the effect you get will be like a nylok nut. I've
been using this stuff for in situ moulded leadscrew nuts on small
machines for several years now and it lasts and lasts with no
appreciable wear.

Ian
Ian W. Wright
Sheffield  UK