On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 18:32:40 -0500, you wrote:

>I don't know the physical requirements. If the pawl is not needed for
>rigidity but is only used for positioning then with an encoder the pawl can
>be removed.

The pawl and the and the worm gear work in combination are essential to
the rigidity. Without the pawl the stepper wouldn't stall and the
changer wouldn't! (reliably ;) The physical requirements, like anything
mechanical are the primary requirement.

It's a doddle to set on up in Mach3, it's a worm and wheel gearbox
driven by a stepper. Simple macro moves it forward x number of steps to
pass the pawl to the next approximate position. Direction reverses by a
few more steps than is needed to stall the stepper against the pawl and
the changer is locked. The worm and wheel takes the cutting load as the
pawl is spring loaded. There are NO switches or encoders.

System is 100% reliable under Mach - never figured out how to run it
under EMC.

Here's a link to my first prototype changer that I still use regularly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dvLbb-HNsE

it now changes tools in under 2 seconds. ( Tool 1 to Tool 8).

Several changes have been made and the design is waiting for the Chinese
manufacturer to pull their finger out <G>.

I have another changer. An expensive   fancy horizontal design, with
positional switches, that lifts, rotates, then descends to lock - it
only lasted days. Swarf got in it. It failed to lock. A few days later,
swarf got in again, this time it stopped in the wrong position and
sheared the central shaft. That was caused by having those positional
switches - it insisted it wasn't in the right position and destroyed
itself trying to get there. - It's now a $900 door stop, literally! It
hold my shop door open  - all it's fit for:)

Steve Blackmore