I really can't understand why they use a stepper for this task. There is
no need for expensive stepper drivers and mucking about with allowing
for lost pulses. A DC motor works easily as well if not better. Here is
a video of an Emco conversion I did.
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4PrCejPbZ8>
All you need is a relay output and a simple encoder with one pulse per
tool. With the relay off the motor is driven in reverse through a
current limiting resistor. This holds the turret firmly in place against
the pawl. With the relay energised it runs the motor at full power
forwards. To change tool you work out how many tools you need to index
then turn the relay on and count pulses from the encoder. When you reach
the desired count, turn off the relay and it locks in place.  In the
above conversion I used a simple hexagonal cam and a microswitch as the
encoder.

If you want to do a really good job of it, add an index signal to find
tool 1. At startup you rotate the turret until you see the index. I
never bothered. I just set it up to remember the current tool number
when you restart.

Les