On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 06:53:52PM +0100, Schooner wrote:
> Hi
>
> Downloaded and compiled the above to 'run-in-place' , just to see what
> had changed etc.
> Have previously been using v2.3.0 from the cd image.
>
> Thus far functioning as expected with one exception.
>
> When I ran a test threading file, I got an error for setting 'I0' ie
> thread peak = 0
>
> This works fine under 2.3 and seems the only sane setting if you have
> turned down to finished diameter before threading.
>
> Since a dialog pops up that specifically says I cannot be zero, the
> logic has obviously changed from 2.3, but the documentation has not.

I see in the release notes that this change happened in the 2.3.3
release

http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/emcinfo.pl?OldReleases

and the change was in response to bug #2817324

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=2817324&group_id=6744&atid=106744

> I changed I to -0.001(mm) which made damn all practical difference and
> the code was accepted and works.
> The DROs showed the 0.001 has been subtracted from the X diameter in all
> passes.
>
> Perhaps the documentation needs to specify that 'I' must be a signed
> value and if the driveline is already at the thread peak, it should be
> adjusted by +/- I to compensate.

http://www.linuxcnc.org/docs/html/gcode_main.html#sec:G76:-Threading-Canned

In the G76 documentation it says

        Negative I values are external threads, and positive I values
        are internal threads.

It's true it doesn't specifically say that zero is disallowed, but
considering the picture there, it seems like with I=0 the tool would
drag along the thread on the return passes.  What am I missing?
Would it be enough to say above in the "It is an error if:" section
"I is zero"?

Thanks
Chris