On Thu, 2010-09-09 at 13:47 +0300, Anders Wallin wrote:
> > The basic question I guess is would EMC be able to provice the same tool
> > path quality as the (lower end) Siemens or Heidenhain controllers?
>
> You should run EMC in simulator mode, and use halscope or halstreamer
> to record all the joint positions to disk. Then you can analyze this
> data later for correctness/smoothness.
>
> It is fairly easy to "choke" the EMC interpreter/traj-planner with
> G-code which consists of many many short G01-segments. It could be
> argued that these should be filtered to longer lines, arcs, biarcs or
> NURBS G-code, but if you have a CAM-program that only outputs these
> short G01-segments this could become a problem.

What about adding a G64 P... or similar?
Even with a very small P of a few hundredth of a millimeter it improves
the situation significantly.

I have some experience on the 840D and I do not think that it behaves
differently.
If you run the 840D in G60 mode (default), it will also stop after each
G1/0 move and re-accelerate. So I do not think there's a difference between
840D and EMC here. The machine does what you program. So if you program a stop
every 5 microns, it will completely halt every 5 microns.

--
Greetings Michael.