Mark Wendt wrote:
> On 09/29/2010 09:12 PM, Jon Elson wrote:
>
>> Igor Chudov wrote:
>>

>>> Things may have somewhat improved.
>>>
>>> I checked on my unsophisticated home network. Ping time (roundtrip),
>>> involving three switches (one in my basement office, then the main
>>> switch at the main interconnect in the utility room, then the switch
>>> in the family room), and two linux boxes, is 0.21-0.34 milliseconds.
>>>

>> My understanding of ping is that it does NOT report the total round trip
>> time through
>> all nodes and switches, just the last hop.  I think you need traceroute
>> to see the delay
>> at each hop.  Still, 300 uS is not such a great time if you need 3
>> messages to propagate
>> within one millisecond.
>>
>> Jon
>>

>      True, but I would hope in our environment we are only one-hopping
> the signal between the computer and the machine/controller.

OK, but I consider a 1 KHz servo update rate to be the absolute minimum,
and would like
to keep open the possibility of raising that to 5 or 10 KHz.  A network
connection that
makes even 1 KHz iffy seems like a real problem.  What if you had two
motion control cards
that each had their own ethernet jack, then you'd need a hub, at least.
And, I don't think
10-base-T hubs exist, they are all switches.

Jon