From: John Thornton [mailto:bjt...@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, October 08, 2010 6:31 AM
To: Enhanced Machine Controller (EMC)
Subject: Re: [Emc-users] setting tool lengths

Chris Radek wrote:
> I've thought about this too. I currently have G59.3 system on my mill
> set so the reference/zero length tool (probe length for me, gage line
> for you) is touching the table at Z=0.  That way I can switch to
> G59.3, put a 123 or 246 block anywhere on the table, roll a .5 dowel
> pin between the tool and the block, and touch off the tool to 6.5 (if
> using an upright 246 block).  Then I switch back to G54 or whatever.
>
> I think this procedure would do what you want too, if you just set the
> coordinate system right.  It would be nice if you did not have to
> remember to switch systems though.  It is easy to mess up.

I can vouch for that, for some reason I still get confused from time to
time touching off tools and G54. I usually use G55 to touch off tools.
BTW, the DRO screen in master is very valuable when touching off tools.
I use the dowel method as well on the CHNC and it works well for those
tools that can be touched off that way. I have developed the habit of
to be and I can tell well before the tool crashes (from experience) that
the path is not correct as the tool flies toward the material in the
chuck LOL.

John

This communication is for the use of the intended recipient only. It may
intended recipient of this communication, the disclosure, copying, distribution
or use hereof is prohibited. If you have received this communication in error,
please advise me by return e-mail or by telephone and then delete it
immediately.