Steve,

     Any chance you can hook up a different CDROM or DVDROM to it?  I've
had that problem before, not with Ubuntu distros, but with other
software.  Sometimes weird little things can cause issues with booting
to the CDROM drive.

     When you say "first screen" are you talking about the one where
you've got a choice to either install the OS or go with the live CD?
How much memory do you have on board?

Mark