On 10/30/2010 3:44 AM, Steve Blackmore wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 09:27:09 -0400, you wrote:
>

>> Listen to the voice of wisdom from Mark.
>>
>> I just booted an ASUS AT5NM10-I board, equipped with a 2GB Crucial
>> memory module, into EMC2 LiveCD mode from a USB memory stick. Prior to
>> booting I had disabled HyperThreading and set the parallel port to EPP
>> mode using the onboard BIOS-setup utility.
> Interesting that it will boot from memory sticks, did you try a CD?

Sorry, Steve. I don't have any CD drives that aren't built into a system
already.

Frankly, I find myself using them rarely now that USB thumbdrives are
capacious and cheap.

Since so many motherboards now come with the ability to boot from the
network based on Intel's PXE, I'm getting my arms wrapped around serving
up Linices and EMC2 via my FreeNAS box. It isn't trivial to set up but
it isn't rocket science either. There's lots of advice available online.

The circumstances you describe are strange---the problematic CD installs
on other machines and other CDs install on the machine in question. If I
were there I'd be applying the tried-and-true "brute force and
ignorance" approach I learned on my uncle's farm.

By the way, I don't remember whether you told us how your CD-drive is
interfaced---IDE/PATA, SATA, USB?

Regards,
Kent