Ouch! If the plastic is pvc then it is toast ... cracks/splits really
easily when cold. I have way too much experience with pvc as irrigation
pipe. If it is polyethylene or cpvc then I have no experience.

I used one inch Cu for pressure tank to house. It is only two feet deep
so when the mins dip below 15 F I let the water drip at night. It still
may freeze in the pump house or in the room with the gas hot water
heater if I get careless. It is NOT fun to get rousted out of a sound
sleep by an annoyed wife because the shower doesn't work.

Sometimes the extra expense of galvanized or even copper is worth it
when the need to thaw buried pipe arises.

Nonetheless, an gram of prevention is worth a Kg of cure.

Good luck.

Dave