Hi Andy;
If you have access to wire tracer simular to those used by telephone and
electrical workers; you can disconnect the water back at the source, run a
clean cable (or wire) down the pipe; hook the signal generator to it and
trace
the pipe to your shallow place. If you set the signal generator to low
output
you can get an idea of the shallow place by the width of receiver pattern on
the surface.
This may not be a solution in the midst of a storm but it can be the ounce
(gram) of prevention needed.

In the mean time we go to the neighbor which has water, fill a significant
container with water and pretend we are camping out. No fun but survival.

    Good luck
        Don