On 25 December 2010 22:38, dave <dengv...@charter.net> wrote:
> Ouch! If the plastic is pvc then it is toast ... cracks/splits really
> easily when cold. I have way too much experience with pvc as irrigation
> pipe. If it is polyethylene or cpvc then I have no experience.

It's HDPE, which should be fine.

> Sometimes the extra expense of galvanized or even copper is worth it
> when the need to thaw buried pipe arises.

Galvanised is not allowed for water service in the UK (Not that this
hamlet pays any attention to water regs, not being on the main). The
water is very soft and slightly acid, and eats through copper in 10
years or so.

--
atp
"Torque wrenches are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men"