I made myself an indicator plug from an old parallel port dongle. Take a
piece of printed circuit board, a 1 k resistor and a LED for each pin
you want to check. Some dongles contain a circuit board ready made. This
is very useful not only at boot up time, but also to check what EMC2
does, sometimes.

The longer pin of an LED is the positive one, easy to memorize since a
plus sign takes more ink to draw than a minus:-)) Don't bother with
cathodes and anodes.

Peter