On Saturday, January 29, 2011 08:55:28 am Farzin Kamangar did opine:

> Hello EMC users,
>      I would like to find out which Parallel port pins are on and which
> pins are off between the computer power on and the time EMC starts.
> This is essential for me because when I turn the computer on my spindle
> starts turning and keeps on turning utill EMC starts and its logo
> appears on the screen (when it stops turning). Some of my axis drives
> get enabled during this time also. How can I prevent these events to
> happen between turning on the computer time and when EMC starts? Thanks
> Farzin

That is one of the hazards of a direct control scheme. Here I do not have a
problem such as that because I use a PMDX-106 to control the VSD for my
spindle, and without the steady PWM signal from the computer that also
controls its speed, and my enabling the computers control by hand once emc
is running, there is no spindle motion.  I used center off switches, and
the computer has control when they are off, flipped to one side or the
other for fwd/rev, then I have a manual speed control control available
too.

Many have rigged a similar, needs a heartbeat from emc sort of control, and
there are no doubt several other ways to achieve that function.  The
simplest of course is to not power up the spindle at all until emc is
running.

There may, I haven't looked, be some suggestions about how to do this on
the emc wiki at <http://wiki.linuxcnc.org>, and I'm sure others will chime
in with suggestions too.

--
Cheers, Gene