On Wed, 16 Feb 2011 09:57:02 -0500, you wrote:

>Hello, Steve,
>
>I am a shop noobie so please excuse simple questions.
>
>On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 5:25 AM, Steve Blackmore <st...@pilotltd.net> wrote:
>

>> 25 passes seems high though for that pitch? In 86xx steel I do 5 passes
>> for 1mm pitch, 10 for 1.5 and 15 for 2mm (all plus 2 spring passes).
>>

>What are spring passes?

You run the last pass or two at the same depth. It allows for any
deflection of the stock, tool or machine. No matter how rigid your
machine is it always seems to take a little more off.

>> If I let CAM calculate the passes on removal rate for insert it's much
>> less, it will try and do a 2mm pitch in 7 passes. I can do that but need
>> the coolant on, back to the no covers or guards problem.
>>

>Do you have to take covers off when you run coolant?  I thought that the
>main purpose of covers is to contain spraying coolant  and flying swarf :)

No - the covers are off because it is a development machine and being
modified from time to time. It is still usable though :)

Steve Blackmore