On Fri, 18 Feb 2011, gene heskett wrote:

> Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2011 11:55:47 -0500
> From: gene heskett <ghesk...@wdtv.com>
> To: "Enhanced Machine Controller (EMC)" <emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
> Subject: Re: [Emc-users] Interesting piece.
>
> On Friday, February 18, 2011 11:36:38 am andy pugh did opine:
>
>> On 18 February 2011 18:13, gene heskett <ghesk...@wdtv.com> wrote:
>>> <http://www.linuxtoday.com/infrastructure/2011021800135OPBZHW>
>>
>> I find it amazing that a tiny bunch of folk in Cambridge (not the
>> Massechusetts one) can corner such a huge proportion of the mobile CPU
>> market.
>> It is fascinating to think that the whole think was given a huge boost
>> by the BBC.
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acorn_Computers
>
> I do not seem to be able to make the connection between the Acorn people,
> and the cpu currently named the Intel Atom.  Most assuredly there has to be
> some shared DNA, but I'd suspect that is largely serendipitous given the
> widespread usage of the fabrication technology itself, and only limited
> contributions obtained by Intel's hiring of some Acorn/ARM seasoned
> personnel over the years.
>
> I posted this link in the hopes that by the time I get a round tuit and
> build my next machine, there may be an Atom-like cpu and motherboard on the
> emc radar that will not be subject to the whims of bean counters because it
> will already have carved out a solid small slot of multi-year usage in some
> other high volume usage.
>
> Lets face it, we have a unique a set of requirements for real time control
> that is not well served by the makers because our nitch simply isn't big
> enough to be of serious interests to TPTB looking at the global market
> picture.
>
> I would not be at all surprised to see the board makers cutting their
> losses so quickly that the last DM510/5XX board has already been assembled.
>
> Those who have a home for 4 or 5 of them really should be looking for the
> inevitable fire sales that generally accompany such a market shift.

Thats just silly

The low power desktop/netbook/home media appliance market is not
directly affected by the cell phone chips. The chips in the Atom MBs are not
cell phone chips by any stretch of the imagination. The market for low power
X86 chips existed before Atom (Via etc)

There is a whole family of Atom based SOCs and Atom support chipsets that are
not cell phone related at all.

Peter Wallace