I see. And is the time stamp used as an integral part of the EMC
calculation? Or rather, does the Pluto interface for example, also supply
the same info?

What I'm also wanting to know is;
If a system has 4 axis, that's 4 x (4x8) bytes to read per sample (=128
bytes)

Is it practical(for a low cost encoder board) to have only 8bits per
encoder. Since each sample is now only a 4 byte read, the sample rate could
be far higher, and the hardware becomes a lot simpler.

Regards
Roland