> Peter,
>
> I work on a daily basis with Ethernet as a system and network
> administrator.
>
> We're talking about a Real Time Ethernet, with a dedicated master and
> slave network interface, which should preclude any worry of collisions
> on a duplex connection between the two.  Modern systems with full duplex
> connections no longer really rely on CSMA/CD.  As defined in 802.3,
> that's just one of the protocols that have been used, not the only way.
>
> The reason we're talking about Ethernet as one of the possibilities for
> communications between the computer and the controller is the
> possibility of the ultimate demise of the parallel port, and the
> difficulties of real time communications on the USB bus.
>
> So, Real Time Ethernet ain't quite your Granddaddy's TCP/IP or USB
> protocol.
Well, Mark, my granddaddy died in 1960. Concerning Ethernet, I was
thinking of the times when I worked close to the IEEE 802 group way back
when Siemens participated in technical innovation...

It's just that I was so happy that PC's, being cheaply available and
relatively easy to write programs for, have such a simple port as the
parallel is. Well, I either will have to get used to the idea of writing
special programs for dedicated processors again or else....??

Whenever I had the impression to have cought up on technological
development, it was running away again...

Peter Blodow